Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is more than just checking locks, washing hands, or cleaning objects. There are several other forms of the disorder that can affect many people at any age. The symptoms experienced can produce intense feelings of guilt, shame, anger, and anxiety (among others). For these reasons, the symptoms of OCD are hidden from family and friends, leaving individuals to suffer in silence. This also means that it can take some time before an individual with OCD agrees to engage in treatment. The modality used to treat OCD at Therapy FiveHT is called Exposure and Response Prevention. This form of therapy has been shown to be the most effective form of treatment for up to 80% of individuals who suffer from OCD.
Our experienced clinicians can assess for symptoms of OCD and/or tailor a treatment program for you or a loved one of all ages. To arrange an appointment call our friendly team on 9882-8874.
Resources for OCD Treatment
- Anxiety Recover Centre of Victoria
- OC Foundation
- Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: A Personalised Recovery Program for living with Uncertainty by Jonathan Greyson (self-help book).
- Daring to Challenge OCD by Joan Davidson (self-help book)
- What to do when your Brain gets Stuck: A kid's guide to overcoming OCD by Dawn Huber (self-help book for children).
- I Just Want to be Me: Building Resilience in Young People by Timothy Bowden and Sandra Bowden (self-help book).